Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

In SC, how many hours per week must an employee work to be

In SC, how many hours per week must an employee work to be considered full time, hence qualify for full time employment benefits
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 7 years ago.

Although you would think this is a fairly straightforward answer it is not. Full-time as defined by the Bureau of Labor statistics is 35 hours or more per week. Having said that, this standard is not an absolute rule. The rule can be modified by other more specific statutes, as well as by contract and agreement. So, for example, if your company has a policy in writing or practice that considers full-time employees only those employees who work 40 hours a week, then that is the rule. Your employer should have made that clear at the hiring phase and should have someone who can show you their policy.The South Carolina Tax Commission has held that if a particular industry such as manufacturing or service has a standard practice of defining "full-time" then that definition applies.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you have any specific knowledge re: WalMart?
Hello again valya,

From what I can find, if you were hired after January 1, 2002 it is 34 hours or more. I wouldn't take that as the final word though since I didn't get that information from the Walmart site itself. You need to contact the number for Human Resources at Walmart and ask them directly. You have a right to know but that is where your knowledge should come from. Walmart has been a source of a lot of criticism for their conversion of full-time employees to part-time in order to avoid providing benefits.