P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

Is it legal for an employer to bug or monitor office converstations

Is it legal for an employer to bug or monitor office converstations verbally?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
That depends...can you tell me the state and what he happening exactly?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Things we have said are being repeated back in our review or the attitude of our employees have changed toward us. We are in Dallas TX

Thanks and sorry for the delay

Texas is known as a "1 party state"...that is, so long as one party to the conversation is aware of the recording, its ok to record.

More info generally here

So long as a wire, oral, or electronic communication—including the radio portion of any cordless telephone call—is not recorded for a criminal or tortious purpose, anyone who is a party to the communication, or who has the consent of a party, can lawfully record the communication and disclose its contents. Texas Penal Code § 16.02.

Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication. See definition of “oral communication,” Texas Code Crim. Pro. Art. 18.20.

NOW, if the person recording is NOT party to the conversation, then you can sue them civilly or report to law enforcement

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.