Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

Hello, I and my boyfrinend rented the appartment for two years.

I and my boyfrinend rented the appartment for two years. On November we splited up and I said to our landlord that i am going to move because it was so expensive for me. And she said that i can find someone else to live with me what wasn't easy. On december I told her taht I am going to move. she took money and said that we will tolk about deposit. I calded to her six times and she always said taht she will call me back. And she never did it. She alawys find any reason. Now is six months yhat we didn;t live there and we still don;t have our deposit yet. My question is that she have right dont give yhis deposit back. And what we can do. I want to say that we have police report.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
1) In what state did this take place?

2) Please clarify, did you find a tenant to replace you?

3) So no letter or call was sent to you about keeping the deposit, is that correct?

4) Why is there a police report?

Thanks

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is also limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is in New Jersey.
No I didn't find the tenat. As I read in the agreement after one year the lease is continued monthly. I thought when i said to her on November that on December i can move.
Nothing was send to us. It was a little strange because my boyfriend signed the lease and that time we didnt talk to much;) In the beginning she tried to work with me. But after she changed her mind and she wanted to talk just with him. He did everything what she want.
First police report was from my boyfriend side. He came to her snd he wanted deposit back. And she argued with him. Because there was a couch wchih wast us. She said something about a wall that it knock down. But how we can belive on it. Nobody came to check this apartmet when i moved.
Finally when he did everthing what she want and what police officer said he called and made an appoitment. he went to her "alone" and new story she called to police
When did you move out? In December?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was in New Jersey State
No i didnt. but it wasnt on the lease.
No nothing was send to us. I just tried to talk with her and get depoit back but ... i didnt signed the lease. in the beginning she worked with me. i stayed with two years old daughter. and it wasnt so easy. later she changed her mind and she just wanted to talk with peson who signed the lease. And he did it.
Police report he did because she didnt want give money back.
Okay, in New Jersey once a tenant leaves the premises the landlord has 30 days to refund or send a certified letter as to why they are keeping the security deposit. Again as soon as you leave the landlord would have 30 days to refund the deposit or give you a certified letter outlining why they are keeping the deposit. Failure to do this can result in the landlord forfeiting the deposit. You would need to sue in small claims court and can ask for double the amount as a penalty for violating the law.

You can review the law on this further here.

Does not matter that she called the police on you, what matters is that she has failed to comply with the law. Your recourse is to sue for your deposit back and ask for double the amount as permitted by law.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated.

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator