Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I own a home with my now EX fiance. I am on the deed with

I own a home with my now EX fiance. I am on the deed with him, but not the mortgage/note. The mortgage is current. I was asked to leave, so I am moving into an apartment. My EX is telling me I am responsible to still pay half the mortgage, which I can no longer afford because I will be paying rent. He is now threatening to let the house foreclose, but a lawyer I have spoken to already advised as long as the school/property taxes are paid and up to date (I can check on them regularly and pay if needed), the foreclosure will not affect my credit. My EX is now telling me he found out today that he can sue me for property abandonement once I leave and do not pay the mortgage. Please advise if there is anything he can do to me legally to force me to pay half the mortgage or come after me for repayment if he pays my half after I move out. I was only morally responsible to pay half that mortgage, but he is telling me otherwise.
Thanks for your qustion. You aren't liable for the note here. But you are a joint/co owner here and he won't be able to sell it here unless you agree or he goes back and files a partition suit.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne is that you aren't liable here for the note . He has no claim at all that I can see. He shoudl be nicer to you or he won't be able to get rid of this easily thats for sure. He has no claim or merit in this matter..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The house is currently on the market...i forgot to mention. It's under contract until Oct and hopefully it'll see so we no longer have ties. I refuse to let him file a new deed without me because there is equity in the home. He may be refinancing if it doesn't sell, but if he does this, i'd imagine I have the right to request some sort of money out of the refi...I guess he'd have to buy me out? So, you didn't mention anything about Property Abandonement..is he referring to me leaving and not paying my share of the taxes? The taxes are escrowed. Are you sure he has no claim or merit in this matter?
He will need to buy you out here or he can't refinance or sell.I see no liability or claim or oreally any merit here to his claim. He can't do anything wihtout you here. He woudl have to file a partition suit here to force a sale and he would have to split any profits with you. And you aren't on the note here, that was his mistake and good for you..