LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
7887522

I was terminated after 6 1/2 years at the Sheriffs Office

I was terminated after 6 1/2 years at the Sheriff's Office in Logan County Oklahoma, the day that the new Sheriff was sworn in. From what I understand, Oklahoma is an at will work state and I have no legal rights, is this true? I was the only person terminated. My position was Sheriff's Admin. Assistant/ Office Manager. Two people were brought in to replace me.

If you were not under any sort of employment contract, then it is true that your employer can terminate you at any time, for any reason, and without notice. The only exceptions here are if you feel you have been discriminated against because you are a member of a protected class, or if the reason for your termination was against public policy, or if you were terminated because you reported some sort of illegal behavior on the part of your employer.

If you DID have an employment contract, you could still be terminated, but your employer would have had to have justifiable cause.

On another note, because you were let go, you should be eligible for UE benefits in the event that you have trouble finding another job.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
at this time I was a Democratic candidate running for a public office against his Republican party friends, could this be considered discrimination?? Is this difficult to prove?? Although he never spoke to me period. New staff he brought in just informed me that my services were no longer needed.

Unfortunately, no. The protected classes under Title IV of the Civil Rights Act are race, religion, gender, color, and national origin. Age is also considered a protected class. And yes, discrimination is very difficult to prove.