John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

I am disabled and on social security. Bank of America has

I am disabled and on social security. Bank of America has taken me to court/mediation and won their judgement on me for not paying on a loan. now they have turned it over to the local court to have me pay them or they will take everything I own. what I own is a car with a bad transmission, a desk and a computer.   Can they take my dissability from me or put me in jail for not paying from my disability?

Cannot take your social security or disability. Could possibly collect on your personal property but this is very unlikely. What are they going to do with your stuff. You cannot go to jail for not paying out of your disability. If necessary you could file for bankruptcy protection.

If you set up a bank account and keep funds in that account then they could garnish that account and take the balance. Possibly without notice to you until after they have taken the money.

There is not a lot they can do if you just get your checks, cash them and keep the cash.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I sue Bank of America?

No. They have a right to get a judgment against you. The problem they have is that they cannot collect on it by garnishing your SSD income and the assets you own are practically exempt.

The judgment they have can be collected on if you aquire assets or if you accumulate money in a bank account.