MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

Under SC state law, if I use my personal vehicle to conduct

Customer Question

Under SC state law, if I use my personal vehicle to conduct business and have an accident, is my employer responsible for my out of pocket expenses?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
It depends on whether the business explicity authorized the use of the vehicle personal use. Generally, employers will claim that the use of the vehicle was for business use only.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If my employer requires me to use my personal vehicle to conduct their business and I have an accident, is my employer responsible for my out of pocket expenses?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
Yes, if at the time of the accident you were using the vehicle on behalf of the business.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where can I get a copy of this law, apllicable to S. Carolina?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
The doctrine is called "respondeat superior" and is applied throughout the U.S. Here is a SC case discussing the principle: http://m.sccourts.org/opinions/displayOpinion.cfm?caseNo=26447