Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
20011183

I was served with a notice to appear for pretrial conference/mediation

I was served with a notice to appear for pretrial conference/mediation for a credit card debt due citibank. I live in Hillsborough County, Florida..what is this and do I have to show up at all.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
If it is a notice for pretrail and mediation, you likely are not required to show up. (Though I would want to read the document to be sure.)

Of course, you have to ask whether it is wise to fail to appear. If you fail to appear at such a conference, many decisions can be made without you. The court could decide to grant citibank default judgment on their claim, essentially giving you no opportunity to respond or make your case.

Also, you pretty much forfeit your chance at mediation, where a deal might be struck lowering the debt.