John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
18914223

I have custody of my 3rd cousin and have had for 4 yrs and

Customer Question

I have custody of my 3rd cousin and have had for 4 yrs and continued to let the former foster parents babysit for me and keep her all night at times and i live in tn and they live in ky right on the line between the the states ,they decided they wanted to have her and filed for her in court and i never received papers to appear in ky court .so they went to court and was given tempoary custody and got the law and came and got her from me ,which a civil suit is filed and the county law over that .but i had to get a lawyer and go to court in ky to see about jurisdiction and the judge heard everything same judge that gave them custody , so at the end of the hearing she said she would take 2 days and it has been over a wk . the laywer i have had the girl in his office to call me today and they still have not heard from the and she said he wanted to talk to me tomorrow about sitting me up visiting . i just have a gut feeling this is wrong
Expert:  John Legal replied 5 years ago.

The Kentucky judge has some complicated things to decide. The first is jurisdiction. There is a uniform statute that is supposed to direct the judge on jurisdiction but your case is more complicated because neither of you are parents of the child. Were you awarded custody by a court in TN? If a court awarded you custody it is possible that this court still has jurisdiction.

This is a long way of saying that it is not uncommon for a judge to take longer to make a decision than they state on the bench. The judge is really not obligated to a specific time frame to rule on a civil matter such as this.

Not sure why the former foster parents were in your attorney's office but I would suggest being as cooperative as possible in attempting visitation as ultimately a judge will decide what is in the best interest of the child. Your behavior throughout this ordeal will either positively or negatively affect his or her decision.

If you are not reassured by the actions of your attorney click on my name to send me a private message with your location in Kentucky. I have former law school classmates all over the state.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
mccrery co ky

Here are the only two names in the area. They went to the same school I did but I do not know them. The closest class mate of mine is in London, KY.

Name: S. Michele Wilson Client Review Rated
Position: Member
Organization: S. Michele Wilson
Practice Areas: Personal Injury; Social Security Disability; Bankruptcy; Collection Law; Probate; Title Opinions; Foreclosures
Office: Whitley City, Kentucky (McCreary Co.)

Name: E. Austin Price Client Review Rated
Position: Member
Organization: Austin Price Law Office
Practice Areas: Personal Injury; Truck Accidents; General Liability