How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36088
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend who was driving his girlfriends car without

Customer Question

I have a friend who was driving his girlfriends car without a license. He wrecked the car and fled the scene of the accident. However, nobody was injured. The car was totaled. The girlfriend was charged with a DUI.

He is going to admit to being the driver on the day of her prelimary hearing. What charges does he look to face?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.He would be charged with DUI and fleeing the scene here. If no one was injured then they may let him off on the second charge if he fesses up here. He is looking at some pretty stiff fines and maybe jail time in the matter. They will probably then arrest him and set bond here. But long range this is the thing to do. I wish him good luck here..

Penalties for the DUI..

First Pennsylvania DUI Offense:

Pennsylvania Criminal Status: BAC Per Se: Ungraded Misdemeanor; High BAC: Ungraded Misdemeanor; Highest BAC: Ungraded Misdemeanor.

Jail: BAC Per Se: 6-month maximum sentence;
High BAC: 48 consecutive hours jail time, 6-month maximum sentence;
Highest BAC: 72 consecutive hours jail time, 6-month maximum sentence.

Pennsylvania DUI Fines/Costs:
BAC Per Se: $300
High BAC: $500-$5,000
Highest BAC: $1,000-$5,000

Pennsylvania License Suspension:
BAC Per Se: 2 month suspension
High BAC: 12 month suspension*
Highest BAC: 12 month suspension*
*Note: An occupational limited license may be available after serving a 2 month suspension.

Violation of Zero Tolerance Law: If you are arrested for DUI, the police will ask you to take a breath, blood, or urine test. If your BAC is 0.02% or higher, and you are convicted of DUI, you can expect:

  • Up to one-year driver's license suspension
  • Drug and alcohol evaluation
  • Fines (up to $500 for a first offense), court costs and restitution
  • To complete a state-approved Alcohol Highway Safety Program, if ordered by the court

If you're under 18, you may also have a juvenile complaint filed against you within 5 days, and may be adjudicated delinquent. Your parents will be notified of your arrest.

If you're 18-20, you may be ordered to Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition Program if you qualify. If you don't qualify, you will be sentenced to 48 hours in jail. "


Leaving the scene..

Under Pennsylvania law, drivers who are involved in an auto accident must stop at the scene of the accident, provide information and render aid. A driver in a hit and run accident causing serious injury can face a third degree felony charge. If convicted, the penalty is a jail term of not less than 90 days and a mandatory minimum fine of $1,000. If convicted of leaving the scene of an accident involving death, the sentence is a minimum prison term of one year and a fine of $2,500."

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.