Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  General practice experience in many areas of law
11297241

In September, I was locked out of the coummunity due to my

In September, I was locked out of the coummunity due to my spouse not coming in at the same time. We had signed a lease in August and told the leasing agent he would be coming out later. I havd to go and get permission every month until he coma in and then they gave him a hard time coming into the gate because he wasn't registered yet on a Friday at 4:30 pm. He had just driven 2550 miles to get here. We were harrassed over the wrong light bulbs, garage being open, etc...

It got to the point we bought a house and gave 60 days notice to the leasing agent notifying her of to rechange tje utilities to the owner's name. The leasing agent wants July rent even though we asked her to use the security deposit and refund the rest of 1700.00 (500) left. They refuse to do this. What are my options?
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 7 years ago.

What state are you renting in?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
nevada
<p>Thank you.</p><p> </p><p>Your landlord is not required to use your security deposit towards your rent obligation. The security deposit is held for the purpose of paying either unpaid rent and/or damages to the unit upon the tenant's vacating. Therefore, until you vacate, you are not entitled to the return of or use of any portion of your security deposit.</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There are still 2 more months left on the lease....we won't see the security.
If you do not pay rent for the next two months, your landlord is entitled to retain a portion of your security as long as he notified you in writing of his reason for retaining it within 30 days after the termination of the tenancy.