Susan Roberts
Susan Roberts, Judge, retired
Experience:  Licensed to practice law for 30 years. Retired state trial judge. Civil and Criminal experience.

My daughter at the university is accused of plagiarism and

My daughter at the university is accused of plagiarism and she says she is not guilty of this horrible offense.

Good morning,

Please provide more facts and a specific question. I am glad to answer with more details.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My daughter wrote a paper and was given a grade of 2.5. 4 days after submitting this paper the professor emailed her a stated that he had given her a 0 in the class for plagerizing and that she could no longer come to class. She wanted him to give her the evidence and he was very rude and offensive and said she had copied a sentence off of the handout he gave for this assignment and he was not going to discuss it any further.

Since the professor will not talk with her about it, she should speak with the chairman of the department. It seems a stretch to accuse her of plagiarism for use of a sentence in a handout. The better course, of course, would have been to identify the source of that sentence if, in fact, she did use it.

Her school has an appeal process re such disputes and she should use that system as well as talk with her faculty advisor for guidance in how to prepare her appeal.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has gone through all of this and now is facing an appeal board. This is the only class she needs for graduation and then she is done. My daughter states that he has mistreated her from the start and whenever she responds in class he refuses to acknowlege her hand being raised. He also speaks angrily to her whenever she has spoken with him. I need to say that he is caucasion and my daughter is african american.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has done all of the above and is in the appeal process right now. I need to say that he has mistreated her from the start and she feels that he has something more against her, perhaps the color of her skin.

I wish her the best at the appeal board. The professor sounds like a jerk.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Since race is a very touchy subject, any advice on how to word this subject and the plagerism accusation in her appeal.

I would not advise bringing up the race issue unless she can absolutely demonstrate he has treated different ethnic groups differently. Bringing in race will not help her unless she can prove it effects his performance. This really is an academic issue and should be approached as such.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much for that advice. Also, if the outcome is negative and she can't receive her degree because of this one class, is it advisable to pursue this further.

I do not know the rules and regs at her university, her faculty advisor would be the one to ask...........or a favorite professor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am a nurse and I care greatly for the patients I take care of. This professor certainly does not care about his students and the problems they face in today's society. They are working hard to achieve their goals and should not be abused in this manner. Thank you very much for all of your help. Have a good day!

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.