How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36361
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you go to jail for not paying alimony?

Resolved Question:

Can you go to jail for not paying alimony?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good afternoon,

While jail is used fairly infrequently, yes, a person can be sent to jail for contempt of court for failure to pay child support.

Typically, courts are reluctant to do this however, unless there is an obvious attempt by the person who owes the support to avoid paying it; and usually the arrears are $10,000 or more before judges will jail a person for failure to pay.

Best regards,


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I asked if you can go to jail for non payment of Alimony NOT Child Support
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good afternoon,

Sorry about that. No, alimony is considered a contractual debt. You don't go to jail for non-payment of alimony. You can however be sued for non-payment and if a judgment is entered against you can have wages garnished and property seized and/or liened.

Best regards,


LawTalk and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions