JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

How long can the police hold your property in a raid/seizure

How long can the police hold your property in a raid/seizure of personal property
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

What was the property seized?

Have charges been filed?

Has there been a plea or trial yet?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
all my computers and any digital media (including ipods, external hd's, SD cards, and also my playstation 3, my psp, recording equipment (mics, drum machine) ect, CHarges have not been filed against me yet, and this was early march 2009 when they served the search warrent. they came on hearsay that i was making fake id's. the county that seized my property is not the same county i live in.
Thank you for the follow-up.

They can continue to hold the property while they continue their investigation.

Depending upon how backed up their computer lab is, it may take awhile before they get done searching the computer.

If charges are filed, they can continue to hold the property until the conclusion of any trial and period of appeal.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my computer is kept encrypted with pgp encryption, they called me in early april saying they could not get into my computer. there isn't a time limit for how long they can hold my property? i think they should have been more prepared and had more solid proof before breaking my door down and taking all my property. isnt there some statute of limitation? especially since they have yet to charge me?
Thank you. No, there is no time limit.

The time limit is however long it takes them to do their investigation.

Quite literally, it can be weeks, months, years.

However, if it starts to reach six months, you should consider hiring a local criminal defense attorney to start calling the detectives and asking for the return. They don't have to return it but it can light a fire under them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you :)