lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney

Is it possible to get spousal support arrears re-evaluated

Is it possible to get spousal support arrears re-evaluated to be current after job loss and trying to catch up? I was never late for child support (my kids are in their thirties now) but I lost my job while paying off spousal support and have been trying to play catch-up over the last decade. My wife has made double my salary for nearly the whole time. Now I find I am unable to obtain a passport or a professional license. I am re-employed, but still make about 1/4 of my ex-wife's income (she is a railroad engineer). The $30k I owe is about 1/4 interest and penalties. I want to pay off and will make arrangements to pay as much as I can while still being able to eat. But what I would like is to get the arrears deemed current so I can obtain a passport and a professional license. Is this possible?
You can go to court for a modification of alimony which you need to do immediately. In the modification you can ask the judge to also modify the arrears in the interst of equity.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi - thank you for your quick response. Would it be possible to have the judgment then be considered not in arrears so I could qualify for license/passport?
You can ask but I would be surprised about the passport. However he may allow the license.