Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

Do I have 72 hours to return a used car to a dealership

Customer Question

Do I have 72 hours to return a used car to a dealership?
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

there is no right to return a car once a contract has been signed. the three day "cooling off" period only refers to sales that are made unsolicited door to door.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Even if the vehicle was sold as a problem being fixed, and was lied to about the vehcles condition before selling?
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

if you were deceived during the sale then you can contact the consumer protection division of the Attorney General and make a complaint. but there are no laws mandating a dealer take a car back.

Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

read this link for the specifics on returns which supports my answers

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you have any suggestions as to how to get the dealership to take the car back, after all they did lie about the vehicle. If fought in court, will they be forced by law to accept the vehicle back. They did lie about the condition, and did not even look into the problem I noticed. They lied and instead said the manager looked into it. They manager had no idea that I voiced the problem and was so understaffed he could not even look at it now today??? This is a $21,000.00 vehicle purchase and they are all passing the buck. This car is a serious hazard, and I have told them that the vibration even makes your hands fall to sleep. What do I do to just convince them to take it. They lied!!!
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

you can speak to the manager and state that the AG is going to investigate their fraudulent sales practices and after the AG gets through with them you will sue them. they lied and that is fraud. you need to report the sale to the AG - 9 out of 10 times they come around. no one wants the AG investigating them