J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

Hello,my name is XXXXX XXXXX my question is,,, i own a 35foot

Customer Question

Hello,my name is XXXXX XXXXX my question is,,, i own a 35foot travel trailer for 6 years,the title and all paper work is in my name and my name only,my mother in law has lived in it for a year on the same land where i live,well my husband called me on 5/30/09and told me she has just sold my trailer out from under me,the police where called to the home by me and then told me that he will not make her return the trailer to me,,knowing that it is not her trailer to sell,the officer said to take her to small claims court.was that right for him to let her sell my trailer and get away with it,i even showed him the title,licience plate and papers
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 5 years ago.
It is not uncommon for the police to act as they did. They have authority to act on your behalf, but they often refuse when the "victim" has their own legal recourse and the matter is not of great public "interest" such as a property dispute between family members. There is really not much you can do to force them to take action. Your time and effort is best spent going after the wrongdoer.

Yes, you can sue your mother-in-law for conversion and fraud in small claims court seeking the return of your vehicle. You should add the new owners as defendants. I would also report the travel trailer as stolen with the DMV so that a new title can't be issued to the "buyers".

Please let me know if you have follow-up questions.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.

In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information you gave me, it will be alot of help for me,My mother inlaw tried telling the officer that i sold her the trailer,he asked her if she got a bill of sale or anything in writing to back up her story, her answer was < no>,the officer then told her that "thats where you went wrong,Thats your mistac".Am i able to get my trailer back from the people that bought it from my mother in law befor i go to court? or do i have to wait? What happens if lets say the jugde says i get my trailer back and i find out its trashed and distroid,what do i do?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information you gave me, it will be alot of help for me,My mother inlaw tried telling the officer that i sold her the trailer,he asked her if she got a bill of sale or anything in writing to back up her story, her answer was < no>,the officer then told her that "thats where you went wrong,Thats your mistac".Am i able to get my trailer back from the people that bought it from my mother in law befor i go to court? or do i have to wait? What happens if lets say the jugde says i get my trailer back and i find out its trashed and distroid, what do i do ??

Again thank you Mary

I would first go to the people who "purchased" the trailer. Be nice, try to get their names and as much information as you can (so you can pursue them later, if any damage is done). Tell them the situation and let them know that you are reporting it stolen and that they won't be able to get a title back. Their best option is to join with you and sue your mother-in-law together (sharing the fees will make filing the lawsuit less expensive). Tell them that if they don't, then you will have no choice but to add them as a defendant to your lawsuit. Either way they are going to lose the trailer, so you should help eachother out.

They would be responsible for any damage to the trailer. However, you would have to sue them to recover. That is why I would get as much information as possible, before you start talking about lawsuits, etc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I know the people she sold it to, in have just theyer first names, they are real close friends to the family,,<mother inlaw> i mean. they live in the same area that i do but just not sure of location.im sorry i have so many questions, but my mother in law has harassed me ever sence i enterd this family almost three years ago.I just want to get my stuff the right way.she has put my husband and i throght so much headacts and drahma its starting to get real old,and this trailer problem has put a damper in my marriage,, thank you Mary

Mary,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing these difficulties. As stated above, I do think that you have legal recourse and can be successful in getting your property back. I would act quickly, however, because courts like to see that you responded quickly once you learned of your claim.

Don't hesitate to ask follow-up questions as you go through the process. I will be available for follow-up questions as long as you need after you Accept the thread.
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Mr.hazelbaker,thank you for you info about my trailer,i toke the police to my home again and we had all wrights to go get the trailer by about 98%police law.so i did get the address of where it was, i went and taked to the people,real nicely may i add,they read the title and cheack the vin number realized it was a match.they said they didnt want any problems, so they where going to have wendy <the person who bought it > to call me today at 4:30 and take to me about what happend,my mother in law did write them a bill of sale for 1200 dallors and went to bank to sign it.But officer told me to still go to court and file a stolen property report on mother in law, thank you mary

I'm glad you are making progress on this. Please let me know, if at any time you have follow-up questions.