JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

I have received notice in the mail that I cannot renew my drivers

I have received notice in the mail that I cannot renew my drivers license due to 4 1/2 year old tickets and failure to appear in court. The name on the docket and ticket is not my name. They will only dismiss the charges if I drive 140 miles to their courthouse and provide the judge with a signature sample. The fines total over $1500. What are my options?
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Your only option is to schedule a court date at the court and try to clear up the matter. You have to go there. Things like this cannot be taken care of over the phone and you cannot treat it like an "us vs. them" game.

If the matter ends with the charges not being dismissed, then you need to work out a plan to pay the balance.

Remember, you cannot get your license without having those tickets resolved so that must be your goal.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was told that errors on the ticket are automatic grounds for dismissal. How can the officer prove that all of the other items are correct on the ticket if he copied the name wrong. They are going to base my innocence or guilt on a handwriting sample. How do I find out if the judge is a handwriting expert? If not, I am just walking into a redneck courtroom where anything goes. How can they pin a bench warrant to me if the warrant has someone elses name?
Thank you for the follow-up.

Errors on a ticket are not always automatic grounds for a dismissal. It depends upon what the error is. If it is a slight clerical oversight, judges freely give officers the opportunity to "amend" and "correct" the ticket.

It is highly unlikely that the judge is a handwriting expert. I suppose s/he could be, but it's highly unlikely.

As to the bench warrant with your name, I can't guess what the circumstances were in your situation. However, I can tell you that there are people who use other people's names and then they get "linked" together in the criminal database systems as an alias. That's one of the tools that are used when generating and entering bench warrants.

Obviously, you must get this matter cleared up. Your only option to do so and to do it correctly, is to go to court. Kindness in approach goes a long, long, long way.

Best wishes!