Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

if a store has me on camera taking 36$ worth of merchandise

if a store has me on camera taking 36$ worth of merchandise can they come get me? i used my debit card to purchase some items, so they know who i am, but they didn't catch me at the store. i just know they have me on camera. what can they do?
Expert:  Ray replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. You should just cool it here. They may not have video here. Cameras don't always work, sometimes they get erased or it isn't viewable here. Say nothing to anyone about this here. Unless you say soemthing here to soemone you will be fine. No more discussion at all to anyone.

That way you just hope it will go away for whatever reason. If they had a theft case they probably would have already come visiting here. I am pretty sure that you are fine here as long as you keep cool and quiet. Many times it is statements made to others that get you convicted so please forget about it here..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what do you mean they would come visit "here"? this website? i know for a fact they have cameras. worse case scenario. this goes all they way to court. in that case, would it be me vs the store?
Expert:  Ray replied 5 years ago.
They would have come and arrested you if they have a criminal case in the matter. If they arrested you it would the video that does you in here. But they really usually make cases really quick or not at all.

Just be quiet here and see if anything comes out of it. they may not have even noticed the theft or the video may not show it, or whatever. This is small amount of money here, a misdemeanor. They may not even fool with it here anyway for low amount.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how much time do they have to make a decision? could they wait a week, two weeks or a month and then decide to press charges?
Expert:  Ray replied 5 years ago.
No these taping machines never go more than a week here and then auto erase. If they are going to file theft here it will be in a day or two max. It will be all right here have some patience. Don't panic, don't contact here just let it pass..
Ray, Lawyer
Experience: 29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law