MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.

I am self employed and worked for a customer who asked me to

I am self employed and worked for a customer who asked me to cover his textured walls to make them smooth and then paint the walls. Half way through the job he said to stop painting, that he would complete the task. I spent $200.00 in paint, supplies etc. and had 900.00 in labor. When the customer was presented the final bill he threw it back and said he would not pay me for anything and I would have to take him to small claims court. We had a verbal agreement and nothing in writing. Do I stand a chance in court to get any of the money owed to me. We are in Colorado if that makes a difference.
Thank You,
Ron K.
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.

Assuming you were painting more than one day, you will likely be paid the market rate for the labor and supplies utilized for the job. This is because it is apparent that the customer knew you were painting and authorized the work. However, if the painting began and was stopped in one day, you will likely lose in small claims court.