Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

I am divorced and have shared custody of our 10 and 6 year

I am divorced and have shared custody of our 10 and 6 year old girls. The girls just got back from the weekend at their moms and were upset because their mom told them she was going to kill herself because her boyfriend just broke up with her and she feels she has no reason to live. What should I do? I am not worried about her but I don't want my girls around that.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- Well this is obviously a problem but it may be an isolated incident. If you truly believe that the mother is mentally disturbed and is presenting a danger to your children you should file a motion to suspend visitation and ask the court for a psychiatric evaluation.

If this is just a one time incident it is probably not worth the effort and might cause even more problems. Your children are the most important concern so if you fear for their well being you should file a motion.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is the first time the girls have had to deal with this, but she has mentioned in the recent past that she has had these suicidal thoughts and even mentioned that her cousin had to stop her in the last 2 months.

Well it certainly is your call. You have a right to file a motion if you are concerned. As I said the welfare of your children is the most important consideration.