MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

We are renovating our house. Our bank has been wonderful and

We are renovating our house. Our bank has been wonderful and our builder..well not so great. While negotiating the contract he repeatedly told us and our bank that he just flat out was not going to go over budget. We have since signed one change order to make some improvements to our bathroom. One Friday when I came home there is a bill from him for some engineering work (we have spent almost $20,000 in architect and engineering fees and the plans were complete and there have been no changes to them since approval). He did not get our permission nor did we sign any approval for this $500.00 engineering work. Do we pay him? He hired someone (not the engineer we used previously) to do something (I don't know what) and I have not seen a bill from the engineer.
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
no, you are not required to pay the $500.00. Hopefully he has finished the home and cannot withhold completion of the home pending your payment.