MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

Hi can you benied vacation time off if there is no one to

Hi: can you benied vacation time off if there is no one to cover you while you are on vacation.
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
Yes, if that is the policy of the employer or there is an employment contract stipulating that vacation is subject to employer's approval.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She will only accept if I have coverage. There is no one to cover that shift.
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
I understand, your question was whether the employer can deny your vacation and the answer is generally yes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so, that means that i cannot take vacation until there is someone to cover me?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.

Correct.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

well, i am retiring in September, so I was aiming to use up my vacation time before that.

So, what do I do in a case like this?

Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.

In a situation like this you ca either a) rearrange to take vacation when someone will be avaiable to cover you or b) forego the vacation and have it bought back as part of your retirement (if the employer has such a policy)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay, here is one for you. I am having surgery, next week-actually 2 of them. right now I don't know if it is going to require me being out of work for any length of time. so, if I am out and there still is no one to cover me for being out on sick leave. I don't understand this whole situation. Sorry