legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
4622441

in my husbands 1st divorce he was ordered to pay 1/2 of his

in my husbands 1st divorce he was ordered to pay 1/2 of his childrens school activities but his ex wife doesn't want to give him copies of receipts showing its been paid in full. she will right it down on regular note book paper in her own hand writing telling him that this is what he owes. he has in the past paid some of that but after catching her trying to give him fasle amounts or trying to get him to pay a second time for the same thing, he put a stop to it and started demanding receipts showing its been paid in full. sometimes she will produce receipts sometimes not.she has received payment for every receipt she has sent. now that he is demanding proof of payment she is refusing to give him any receipts showing its been paid at all. she says she is just going to let him get behind and take him back to court. my question is do we have to accept receipts written in her hand writing saying he owes a certain amount or does she have to provide legitimate receipts before he has to pay?
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
You do not have to accept hand written reciepts in her handwriting. You can require that she provided you with actual reciepts or invoices of the fees for the activities. If she gives an invoice you can write the check to the vendor, not to her so she can only use it to pay for the activity.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

what if the amount he pays for the invoices she presents are non-refundable ( like most of the childrens school trip deposits are)? if he pays his part and she doesn't then he is out that money.

Then he can sue her for the fraud and have the court order her to refund his lost money.