Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I want to drop charges against someone who is in jail and has

Customer Question

I want to drop charges against someone who is in jail and has not yet been convicted. What do i do.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 years ago.
Sounds like your talking about a cross-complaint here -- two people who got into some kind of a dispute. Cops weren't sure about who started what, so they arrested both people and each is pointing the finger at the other.

Generally, if each party is willing to drop if the other does and there are no additional charges that don't require the complainant, the two defense lawyers should be able to work it out between the two of them. So the answer is to have each side talk to their own lawyer and agree to drop but only if the other does.

Remember that I don't know the nature of these charges or any of the facts. I'm just talking in general about what usually can be worked out when there are two cases involving the same incident and the complainant on one case is the defendant on the other and the two people who had the are interested in forgiving and forgetting and don't wish any kind of protective order against the other.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The guy who needs to drop the charges is in jail. Not for the same thing though. The charge is a stolen vehicle. But the keys were willing handed over and he nows that.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 years ago.
I could do with a little clarification here. There are two people with cases against them, but not for the same thing. One case is for a "stolen" car, except he really had permission to take it. The other is against you, and he needs to drop? Or are you saying something else? Did both cases arise out of the same incident even though you're facing different charges? (Were you both arrested at the same time?)

I'm going to walk my dogs while you answer this, but I'll be back in 15 minutes or so.