lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney

I pay $1401.00 a month in child support for two boys age 5

I pay $1401.00 a month in child support for two boys age 5 and 8 in Kansas. Their mother just got married this weekend and do I have any chance of getting my payments lowered?
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
No, the fact that she is married again does not relieve you of the responsibility of supporting your children. Sorry but her new husband's income does not figure in to the calculation.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How is that fair?
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
I guess the question is whether it is fair for someone else to be responsible for supporting your children. States have made a policy decision that it is not since this would deter remarriage. Sorry but that is just the law, whether it is fair or not I leave to others.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I completely understand your response. I work for the Federal Government and deal with ludicrous laws all the time. I personally think that there should be "checks & balances" in the current child support system as there supposedly is with our Federal Constitution. There is currently no way to monitor what a mother spends with the proceeds a father pays for child support. Heck, they can take each month's proceeds and spend it all on alcohol and drugs and who checks them? If a father does not pay child support he goes to jail! Where's the checks and balances, I ask you?