MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.

I live in new mexico. My ex GF is 3 months pregnant and I know

I live in new mexico. My ex GF is 3 months pregnant and I know she wants me to be a part of the kids life but we have yet to talk about actual custody. I have feeling knowing her that joint will most likely be the outcome. I'm just not sure what I need to do in the meantime or after the kids born to ensure rights, etc.
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
As the father, unless you are arrested or otherwise involved in conduct or happenings that would endanger the child, you will have access to the child. To ensure that your access rises to the level of joint custody, be responsible in your affairs and show that you have the financial wherewithal to provide for the child, that is make sure there is enough extra room in your place that can be dedicated to the child, begin exploring health insurance for the child, as well as a trust account for the child's education.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So obviously joint custody needs to be determined by legal means other than the both of us agreeing on it?