Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

I rear ended someone and they claimed they only needed a car

I rear ended someone and they claimed they only needed a car wash to get off scratches. They wanted no insurance or police involved. They sent me a fax of an estimate for damages over $800.00. Do I have to pay them? How many estimates do they need to provide?
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

what state was this accident in?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

thank you for that information - you will need to pay for their damages. it might be wise to contact your insurance agent and have them deal with it. that way, it will all be settled once and for all and the other driver wont later be able to come back and file for injury damage. just explain to the agent what happened and why it was not reported. you may be chastised for not reporting it immediately, but i am sure that will be nothing compared to a person who could later come back and file claims against you - also, the insurance company will want to evaluate the damage and make sure there is not some type of accident scam going on.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There were no damages and the estimage is excessive and has payments on there to repair the air bag when it didn't even deploy. I do not think that the estimate is even close to real. Also, for someone with absolutely no damage to their car and did not want to do anything, my rates will go up if my insurance is contacted.
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

i hear ya and i understand what you are saying - but if you dont report it, you risk being held "hostage" by this driver - what if he comes back and sues you for some contrived injuries?

my opinion is you should report it. but if you dont want to do that to protect yourself from this driver then you should demand at least 3 estimates.