TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

if a levy was put against an employee for their wages after

if a levy was put against an employee for their wages after they had already quit working for a company which still owed them a check can this company hold the check from employee and IRS and not tell what the earnings were?

Thank you for submitting your important legal issue to Just Answer. I am pleased to have the opportunity to provide you with an honest and easy to understand answer to your question.

I am an attorney licensed in the State of Texas. The following information is a brief answer to your question. However, if you feel that you need further information or that you have other insights which might help me in providing a better answer, please feel free to write back.

The answer to your question in brief is no. The company owes the ex-employee the money as wages. Should the company withhold these wages, it becomes exposed to liability from the state's workforce/employment commission, and could face statutory penalties. Further, IRS may also assert a statutory penalty against the company as the company is attempting to withhold money that is due the IRS and the employee.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Zachary D. Norris or The Norris Law Firm. For complete legal advice and representation, you should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.