lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney

how to answer motion to attach wages

Customer Question

how to answer motion to attach wages
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
Has a judgement been filed against you? What state?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes a judgement in small claims because I did not show was out of town got my mail to late
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.

If you were not served then you need to file to have the small claims judgment set aside for lack of service. It would just be titled Motion to Set Aside Judgment. Use the same format as the complaint and serve the other party. This is not exactly what you want but will give you a guide.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how does this help me to answer the motion to attach
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.

You would answer by requesting that the motion be stayed until your motion to set aside the judgment is heard.

Under Rhode Island law, the maximum amount which can be legally withheld from an employee's wages by an employer is twenty-five (25%) percent of the employee's disposable earnings.

Disposable earnings are defined as the earnings of an individual after deduction of taxes, social security and temporary disability contributions.

Individuals are exempt from attachment for one year if they have collected social security or state assistance.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
You're welcome. The clerk of the court may print out for you a similar case as a guide.