attySince1978, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for 30 years with over 500 arbitrations and trials representing over 2,000 clients.

rita offer to sell an mp3 player to Steve but receives a letter

Customer Question

rita offer to sell an mp3 player to Steve but receives a letter of acceptance from Tony. a valid contract exists between
Expert:  attySince1978 replied 7 years ago.
If the offer to sell the player was only made to Steve than Tony has no right to accept since the offer was not made to him. Tony's letter of acceptance by law is nothing more than an offer by itself which must be accepted by Rita. There is no valid contract unless both an offer to sell is made and an acceptance is made. However, there should be some consideration given for an acceptance, such as a deposit. That is why many seller request a deposit from a potential buyer. The deposit will hold the item for them.

I trust that you will find my answer helpful, therefore kindly click ACCEPT after you have read my answer. I will be more than happy to answer an additional question that you may have in this instance. Thank you.