TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I buy and sell RVs and Campers. I have bought 4 campers from

Customer Question

I buy and sell RV's and Campers. I have bought 4 campers from an individual that had titles and he signed them over to me and in return, I paid him with personal checks and had titles and bill of sales legally. Found out that the individual that sold me the campers had stolen them. The sheriff has picked up 2 of the campers in my yard with no resistance and I had already sold 2 more campers to other individuals and gave them my copies of bill of sales and the titles where I had sold them.
My question is - I paid 10,500.00 for the 2 campers that are now in the possession of the sheriff department. I sold these campers on the up and up and now I am out of these funds. What action will happen to the 2 campers that have already been sold and what will happen to me civilside.
How will the 2 individuals that has bought the campers from me get their money back since the sheriff has advised they will pick up those trailers at their homes. Sheriff says I'm a victim but what about compensation.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your important legal issue to Just Answer. I am pleased to have the opportunity to provide you with an honest and easy to understand answer to your question.

I am an attorney licensed in the State of Texas. The following information is a brief answer to your question. However, if you feel that you need further information or that you have other insights which might help me in providing a better answer, please feel free to write back.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. In a situation regarding stolen vehicles, you are liable to return the money to the purchasers who bought the campers from you. You are exposed to a civil action for breach of contract and negligence in the sale of the campers. However, you can sue the original person who sold you the stolen campers for return of your money, or seek restitution of the money through the district attorneys. Your state may also have a victim's compensation fund that could alleviate some of your liability.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Zachary D. Norris or The Norris Law Firm. For complete legal advice and representation, you should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Great Job - had a feeling this would be the answer but wanted to hear something different -

Thanks -

Expert:  TexLaw replied 7 years ago.
I wish I could give you a different answer, but unfortunately this is the law. It seems unfair since you were in good faith. The axiom of law which this follows is "you cannot acquire good title to stolen goods"