How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We own a house for retirement income. We let our daughter &

Resolved Question:

We own a house for retirement income. We let our daughter & grandson live there while our grandson was under age to help them out. Our grandson just turned 20 this April, 2009.   Our daughter & grandson neither work or have done anything to better themselves by getting a job. There has never been a written agreement just a verbal agreements. Recently, their grandmother died & gave the both $5,000 each & my husband told our daughter it would now a good time to get her own place & grandson the same. Everyone agreed verbally to 2 months time. Now 2 mos is present & daughter doesn't want to move & sail she would seek go to court over this. Lately she has had another person sharing a room with her & son in a 2 bedroom 800 sq ft home in a very nice developement & house needs everthing due to neglect & is flithly. What are our legal rights & what are hers. Also what do we need to do forms, etc. Thank you for your help. She has never paid anything to help us out.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 6 years ago.
Please tell me where the property is located.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1947 E Mary, Fort Mohave, Az 86426
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1947 E Mary, Fort Mohave, Az 86426 my husband & myself own this house.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 6 years ago.
please see my other response
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You can email your response is fine also w/o texting my cell phone. XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  TexLaw replied 6 years ago.
I have posted a detailed response. If you cannot see the response that I have posted, I will repost the response. The website rules do not allow us to make personal contacts with you outside of the website arena.

Let me know if you do not see my detailed response.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your important legal issue to Just Answer. I am pleased to have the opportunity to provide you with an honest and easy to understand answer to your question.

I am an attorney licensed in the State of Texas. The following information is a brief answer to your question. However, if you feel that you need further information or that you have other insights which might help me in providing a better answer, please feel free to write back.

Since you have never conveyed an actual interest in the real estate to your daughter, you have every right to kick her out of your house. However, you actually face a problem of an "adverse possession" claim by your daughter. Since your daughter has been living in the house for ten years, she can potentially claim that the house is hers through adverse possession. However, I believe her claim would fail because she has never performed any acts of ownership, such as paying the mortgage, paying taxes, paying HOA fees, etc.

There are two options to follow for forcing your daughter out of the house: eviction or trespass. Either way, you need to send your daughter a certified letter stating that they need to immediately leave the property or face ejection because she is trespassing.

After you have provided certified notice to your daughter to leave the premises, you can then file a Forcible Detainer action in the local justice court in the county where the property is located. You can pick up the form for the Forcible Detainer action at the justice court. In Arizona justice courts, you don't need a lawyer to complete the action, it is very similar to the People's Court on TV.

The other option would be to contact the police and attempt to have your daughter removed under the criminal trespass statute, or sue your daughter in district court for trespass and seek damages for the same.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Zachary D. Norris or The Norris Law Firm. For complete legal advice and representation, you should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.