TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I broke up with my boyfriend one month ago. This boyfriend

I broke up with my boyfriend one month ago. This boyfriend happened to be a lawyer. He had injured me physically. At the suggestion of a therapist a left him a message confronting him about the incident. I received a notice to pick up a certified letter yesterday as did my parents. I'm pretty sure it's a no contact request from him. I don't wish to continue to capitulate to his need to still control me. My question is this. First, why would he also send one to my parents. Also what can he do if we refuse to sign or pick up these letter? I do not wish further contact with this man anyways.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your important legal issue to Just Answer. I am pleased to have the opportunity to provide you with an honest and easy to understand answer to your question.

I am an attorney licensed in the State of Texas. The following information is a brief answer to your question. However, if you feel that you need further information or that you have other insights which might help me in providing a better answer, please feel free to write back.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. It's really impossible for anyone to be able to guess at what is in the letter or why he would send it to your parents without actually knowing the content of the letter. However, since he is a lawyer, I would be very careful about not opening this letter. My advice is that you should open the letter, as it may be some kind of notice of a legal claim he is making against you. If it is a "cease and desist" letter asserting that you should not make any contact, then at least you know that he also does not want any contact with you, as you don't with him.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Zachary D. Norris or The Norris Law Firm. For complete legal advice and representation, you should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. I guess that's a little helpful. You probably can't help further than you have. I haven't harassed this individual or made any false accusations to anyone he knows. I haven't spoken to anyone he knows period. I can't think what kind of legal claim he could make. I may have to just give in and be done with this. Would he be able to get this letter to me in another way other than certified mail ? Also, just to be clear, are you indicating that he could be notifying me of an upcoming suit against me?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 7 years ago.
Yes, that's exactly correct. He could be trying to provide you notice of a lawsuit he wants to file against you. He could also be asserting that you owe him money for some reason. Or, he could be sending you a bill that he received. If the two of you lived together, he could also be trying to forward something to you, and is just covering his trails so that you don't claim he never sent whatever it could be to you. It's really hard to say what it could be. But you should open the letter. If he is trying to provide you notice, he will eventually be able to do that through some other method. It's better to find out immediately what he is trying to do, then just hiding and hoping that he will leave you alone.