Robert Wichowski
Robert Wichowski, Attorney
Experience:  4 years in the general practice of law in the State of Connecticut
17032947

What are the laws or fire code for having a gas barbaque grill

What are the laws or fire code for having a gas barbaque grill in a condo association?
Expert:  Robert Wichowski replied 7 years ago.
Hi and thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will try to answer your question as best as I can.

Your question is bascialy where can you find the restrictions on having a gas grill in a condo association.

The rules on all things related to your condo are found in the condo by-laws and other what's called resale documents that you should have received prior to your closing. When someone purchases a condo, the association puts together all relevant documents and provides them to the potential buyer for review. It should be a fairly large stack of paper called either your associations by-laws or rules.

These rules cover just about every aspect of what is regulated by the association from the color of your mailbox, to the number of pets, to assigned parking as well as the limitation on grills. It's not uncommon for associations to not allow grills at all. Many will cite safety concerns over having an LP container close to the structure of the condo if they cite anything at all.

But like I said, it's more then likely a provision in the condo's by-laws that you would have to search through. If you don't have a copy, you can usually get one from the association's management office. With the weather turning nicer, I hope that it's allowed!

I hope that I have completely answered your question. If I have not, please feel free to continue your questioning, you will not get charged for continuing the questioning. If I have, please click on the green accept button. Positive feedback is welcomed and encouraged!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am the president of our assoc now and we are trying to update our bylaws. I need to know if Gas grills are permitted by the fire codes for our location?
Ok, what city.state are you in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Jupiter, Fl
Due to technical problems, I was not able to see the second part of your answer until after you responded.

The applicable codes are found in the Florida Fire Prevention Code and are:

NFPA 1:10.11.7 For other than one- and two-family dwellings, no hibachi, gas-fired grill, charcoal grill, or other similar devices used for cooking, heating, or any other purpose, shall be used or kindled on any balcony or under any overhanging portion or within 10 ft (3 m) of any structure. Listed electric ranges, grills, or similar electrical apparatus shall be permitted. (Per NFPA 1, Uniform Fire Code, Florida 2005 Edition)

NFPA 1: 69.3.3.9.2 Cylinders having water capacities greater than 2.7 lb (1 kg) [nominal 1 lb (0.5 kg) LP- Gas capacity] shall not be located on balconies above the first floor that are attached to a multiple family dwelling of three or more living units located one above the other.

As I said before: I hope that I have completely answered your question. If I have not, please feel free to continue your questioning, you will not get charged for continuing the questioning. If I have, please click on the green accept button. Positive feedback is welcomed and encouraged!