TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

Can an Acupuncturist hire a Physical Therapist and/or Physician

Can an Acupuncturist hire a Physical Therapist and/or Physician under his LLC in the State of Texas?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your important legal issue to Just Answer. I am pleased to have the opportunity to provide you with an honest and easy to understand answer to your question.

I am an attorney licensed in the State of Texas. The following information is a brief answer to your question. However, if you feel that you need further information or that you have other insights which might help me in providing a better answer, please feel free to write back.

You ask whether an acupuncturist can hire a physical therapist or physician as employees or members of the acupuncturists limited liability corporation. The short answer is yes. However, by hiring a physical therapist or physician, the acupuncturist will likely have to meet all the licensing requirements to run the health care facility which are relevant to either physical therapists or physicians.

My review of the Texas Occupations Code and the Texas Health and Safety Codes do not show that this would be prohibited by the law.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Zachary D. Norris or The Norris Law Firm. For complete legal advice and representation, you should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Zachary,

An acupuncturist is licensed in his field of expertise, however, if he hires a PT or a physician, this is outside of his scope of practice. I guess what I am trying to ascertain is if a physician or PT can bill and get paid for services rendered under the umbrella of a non-physician LLC.

Liz Lee

Expert:  TexLaw replied 7 years ago.
Hi Liz,

A physician and a physical therapist could bill under a non-physician, L.L.C. However, the L.L.C. will need to obtain extra licenses as either a health care facility or a hospital association. It would probably be much easier to set up a new L.L.C. through the physician, with the acupuncturist being a member.

For a more in depth answer, you may need to actually hire an attorney to render you a binding legal opinion on this issue.