TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Can a employer fire you based on what another employee said

Can a employer fire you based on what another employee said that was a rumor that you are being accused of starting?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What city and state do you live in?

-What country do you live in?

-What actions you already tried?

-What is your position

Thanks,
Zachary D. Norris

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I live in Hartford Connecticut. I'm a security guard for Secure America. I just found out this afternoon that I no longer have a job. I didn't get into an argument or did something wrong on the job. I talked with my Site Manager and then his boss and was told not to contact the client. All I did was ask a question in regard to what was happening regarding where I worked. Did they sell the property? That's how it all got sarted. I asked an employee of the Hartford Insurace Group. She went and told her managers that I was spreading rumors that the property was sold. I told my boss I had asked the question but it was stated as a question not a statement of fact. Now today he calls and tell me the Site at which I work no longer wants me on the premsises. I have a secretarial background so if I were to apply for a job with this company my name would be blacked because of what someone said that was an untruth. What can I do?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.
DearCustomer

Thank you for submitting your important legal issue to Just Answer. I am pleased to have the opportunity to provide you with an honest and easy to understand answer to your question.

I am an attorney licensed in the State of Texas. The following information is a brief answer to your question. However, if you feel that you need further information or that you have other insights which might help me in providing a better answer, please feel free to write back.

In Connecticut, an employee is what is termed an "at will" employee unless there is an employment contract. Unfortunately, this means that the company can fire you for any reason it sees fit (except for civil rights protection offered by state and federal law) or for no reason whatsoever. You have the right to sue the person who spread the false rumor about you for defamation. However, this is likely to be a very hard case to win. I would send letters to your company requesting a reconsideration and reinstatement of your position, and explain that you were not spreading rumors, and that you are good employee and want your job back.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Zachary D. Norris or The Norris Law Firm. For complete legal advice and representation, you should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs