TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

While traveling on an Indiana highway my vehicle was struck

While traveling on an Indiana highway my vehicle was struck by a deer. Doe the state of Indiana have any legal responsibility to repair my vehicle?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer

Thank you for submitting your important legal issue to Just Answer. I am pleased to have the opportunity to provide you with an honest and easy to understand answer to your question.

I am an attorney licensed in the State of Texas. The following information is a brief answer to your question. However, if you feel that you need further information or that you have other insights which might help me in providing a better answer, please feel free to write back.

Unfortunately, the state of Indiana is not responsible for damages caused by wildlife. The State has what is legally called "sovereign immunity" which means in laymans terms that the state cannot be sued unless it grants specific permission to be sued in a statute, or the constitution provides that you may sue the state for the specific applicable circumstance. In this circumstance, and this dates back to the common law from England, the State is not liable for damage caused by wildlife. However, if you have collision coverage on your car insurance, this would likely be covered.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Zachary D. Norris or The Norris Law Firm. For complete legal advice and representation, you should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.