Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

Hello, I am a citizen of the US and I am interest in claiming

Hello, I am a citizen of the US and I am interest in claiming my father in order for him to get in US residence. I have red my responsabilities but I hesitate, since my father owes more than $ 10k to a few us companies. As the person requesting his residence, am I responsable for his debt if in case he is not capable or unwilling to pay? What are my responsabilities in the financial field?

You will not be held responsible for your father's personal debts. The creditors will only be able to go after your father and any assets he might own. You could only be held responsible if you signed some sort of guarantee for the debts. In terms of his U.S. residence, I believe you are required to represent that your father will not go on public assistance. But that is a separate matter than private creditors seeking to enforce private debts against your father. You can not be held responsible for them.