Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

I am about to file in small claims in philadelphia, pa. My

Customer Question

I am about to file in small claims in philadelphia, pa. My pet was injured at a place of business. I attempted to recover funds from the business' insurer. They rejected the claim. Who is named in the suit?   The business, insurance company, owner? All three? Also, my pets medical bills exceed $6000 right now- and my pet will need additional care for the balance of its life. Can I sue for future costs- pain and suffering- or just what costs I have incurred. Thanks!
Expert:  Loren replied 7 years ago.

Pets are considered chattel and, as such, assuming the liability of you are entitled to your out of pocket damages but not pain and suffering.

A law school final exam exception to this scenerio would be if the defendant was hurting your dog for the purpose of causing you distress. In that case you might want to sue for intentional infliction of emotional distress. In that claim you would be able to collect pain and suffering damages.

Good luck and I hope your pet makes a full and speedy recovery.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't find your answer satisfactory (it's incomplete)- and I don't see your credentials either.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 years ago.
Sorry. The business owner and individual who injured your pet would be named as parties but not the insurer.

I hope that answers the question.