MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.

Good morning, I have been trying for over two years to retrieve

Good morning,

I have been trying for over two years to retrieve my son's floor buffing and shampoo equipment from a church in Washington DC. He along with one of the church's member shompooed the carpet for the church. My son was asked to bring his equipment to help. When the job was over my son left his equipment at the church and was told that it would be in the storage closet and he could get it when he was ready.   In January 14, 2007 my son and I went to the church to try and get his equipment.   A lady took our names and home phone number. I have been in contact with lady of the church whom I have been talking to for almost two years about my son equipment and she has not helped me resolve the problem. She will not let us see the equipment that is in her church. I have spoken with the lady by phone every since 2007 and she always make excuses as to why she can not open the church and let me and my son see if the equipmen. My son as a learning disability.

Please advise.
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.

Good morning,

You should send a certified letter to an authorized representative of the church outlining the relevant history of this matter and allowing the church 30 days in which to respond by letting your son view and retrieve the property. In the letter you should also note that you are in the process of securing the services of an attorney to file a claim against the church for unlawful possession of your son's property. If the church does not respond by allowing your son to view and retrieve the property, then you should secure the services of an attorney.