J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.

Transferring home into our name My husband and I are being

Customer Question

Transferring home into our name:   My husband and I are being given a mobile home in FL (on it's own land) by my parents. We have credit/collection issues against us. Are there any problems that putting the home in our name could cause and can the creditors take/lein it if we do so?
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 7 years ago.
Yes. If the porperty is put into either/both of your names, it could be subject to lien/attachment by creditors.

If the home is your primary residence, there may be ways to protect it (e.g. bankruptcy). Another way to protect it would be for your parents to create an irrevocable trust for your benefit and put the property in that trust. You should seek the advice of an experienced Florida trust attorney to make sure this is done the proper way. It's really not something that can be done through online dialogue.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.