Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have a question in the state of Texas could I go to jail

Customer Question

I have a question in the state of Texas could I go to jail for not paying a PAY DAY LOAN or, what could happen? They have scared me and I currently cant pay them and they are saying that they are going to send it to the fraud dept. If I had the money I would do it but I am a single mother trying to make it and its hard. Just wanted to get some advice. Thanks!
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

You can't go to jail for owing a debt or not being able to pay a debt - there are no debtor's prisons in the US.

However, if you don't pay, the creditor can sue you for the money. If a judgment is granted, the creditor can garnish wages, bank accounts, freeze assets, etc.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay thank you !
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
No problem.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
Good luck.