How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a lease in Lutz, FL on 2/13/2009 for a lease term

This answer was rated:

I signed a lease in Lutz, FL on 2/13/2009 for a lease term of 21-Aug-2009 to 7-Aug-2009. This is a residential student housing lease, I am no longer a student and will not be for the duration of the lease period. Is there any way out of this lease? I do not expect to get my security deposit back but as for the rest of the term, under there agreement I have to be a student they told me.
If a condition of the lease can't be met, then the lease is breached. However, the landlord must make reasonable efforts to find a replacement tenant. If the landlord does not, then it can't recover damages from you beyond the time a replacement tenant could have been in place.

Three months is a long time and the landlord could probably find a replacement using reasonable efforts. The landlord would also have to accept reasonable replacement tenants that you find and refer.

If a replacement is found, you would not be liable for the rental term and the landlord would have to return your deposit.

I would let the landlord know immediately of your non-student status and that a replacement needs to be found. If the landlord sits on his/her hands and doesn't take reasonable efforts, then they can't keep your money or hold you to the term. If he/she does use reasonable efforts (or you supply potential replacements), then it is likely the rental will be rerented. In that case, again, the landlord would have to refund your deposit and you would not be olbigated for the term.

Let me know if you have follow-up questions.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.

J.Hazelbaker and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you