MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

My wife is a teacher in Fulton County Georgia for close to

My wife is a teacher in Fulton County Georgia for close to 18 years. She will turn 57 in June. She plans to retire when she turns 60. This past Wednesay she was told by the principal that she was being moved from first grade to Kindergarten. She has been a first grade teacher for the past 13 years and has had great performance reviews. She is certified to teach K-3 and special ed. She asked the principal to reconsider her decision and this request was denied. Is there any recourse?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
Your wife can appeal to the school superintendent's office. However, you should know that the the superintendent will likely side with the principal on this matter. This is because your wife is certified to teach kindergarten, so one cannot argue that she is being asked to do a job for which she is not properly qualified. Moreover, there appears to be a need for an additional kindergarten teacher within the school, and it is within the principal's discretion to place qualified teachers in respective roles to, in his or her opinion, best meet the needs of the students. The fact that she has received great performance reviews means that she is a great teacher, unfortunately, it does not mean that she is a great teacher so long as she is only teaching first grade. I hope I have answered your question. If so, please be sure to click "Accept." If not, please feel free to contact me and I will elaborate. Thank you.