Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

i was wrongfully passed over for a promotion in a fire department.

i was wrongfully passed over for a promotion in a fire department. it has come to light that i was the top ranked canadate however was not awarded the job. the stated the decision was based upon education however i have more education than the promotion person. do i have ground to file a case?
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

Does the employer have at least 15 employees? Do you think the real reason you were denied the promotion was based on your age, gender, race, etc?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the department has approx 20 full time. the township in general is close to 50 fulltime. i think the real reason was my activity as a union official in which i negoiate contracts with the dept
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.

I see. Under the NLRA, employers cannot discriminate or retaliate against your for union activity. You need to consult with a labor law attorney in your area about your options; ie, sending a demand letter to the employer that it remedy the situation, or filing a lawsuit for damages.

The state and county bar associations should be able to refer you to an attorney. Ask for one that provides a low cost or free consultation.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards,

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Thank You.