J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

I have had my identification stolen. How can I prevent the

I have had my identification stolen. How can I prevent the thieves from using the information for filing a quit claim on my house?
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 7 years ago.
A party can convey only the property rights that they legally have. Someone who stole your identity can't convey any interest in your home. The deed would be void. However, you can keep on top of this by contacting the recorder of deeds (usually located within or adjacent to the local courthouse) and let them know that you are concerned that someone may file a fraudulent deed and to be on the look out for it.

You can also regularly check the records to see if anything has been filed.

You can also file a ID theft complaint online with the Federal Trade Commission. Here is a link to their ID theft portal:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.