FLACORPLAWYER
FLACORPLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  23 Years as attorney, licensed NY and FL. Former US ATTY.
13539925

My 2nd car was towed in Seattle in front of my house. Its

My 2nd car was towed in Seattle in front of my house. It's an old car and not worth much but the license tab expired several months. I couldn't renew the tab because it didn't passed the emission test. I was planning on getting it fix. The police had it towed a day after it issued the 72 hours notice. The car is still at the towing place and I can't get it back to have it towed again. I recently received a bill from towing company asking for $703 for storage fee or they will put me in collection. I do not have that kind of money. Is it legal for the towing company send me a bill and threaten me with collection? What happen if they put me in collection? I can't afford it and fee is more than the car.
Expert:  FLACORPLAWYER replied 8 years ago.
They can charge you a tow fee if the car was towed away legally. Eventually, they will sell the car and apply the proceeds to the bill. Ask them if you can sign the car over to them. They will be able to sell it right away and the storage fees will stop.