LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

I live in Minnesota, and have lived with a woman for the last

Customer Question

I live in Minnesota, and have lived with a woman for the last 7 years. Does that make us married now?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with family law experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. "I live in Minnesota, and have lived with a woman for the last 7 years. Does that make us married now?" The answer is "No". Common law marriage is no longer recognized in Minnesota. It was recognized before April 27, 1941. Only ceremonial marriage is recognized today in Minnesota.

3. I would be glad to interact with you further on this topic even after you click "accept" to process my answer. I will be signing off for the night soon, but I will be sure to check back for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum again tomorrow.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.