Karin, Attorney
Experience:  Estate Planning and Small Business Attorney with Investment Banking Background

Hi! If you file an extension on your Federal return and owe

Hi! If you file an extension on your Federal return and owe money, is your state refund on hold?
Expert:  Karin replied 7 years ago.
Assuming we are talking about current year tax filing (2008), the general answer is "no". The state government and the federal government are two separate governing entities.

In order for the IRS to try and attach (take) moneys owed to you by anyone else (whether it be the state or some third party), further action would be taken first.

Please press the GREEN accept button if you find my answer to be satisfactory. Note it may difficult to adequately address all issues that might be raised by your question in this setting. To be clear, we have not established an attorney-client relationship and this post in response to your question is to provide general information not specific legal advice. I encourage you to contact a local attorney in your jurisdiction for legal advice.